Wednesday, December 22, 2010

Looks are deceiving..

I am a cheesecake lover. When I saw Soufflé Cheesecake Cups in Corner Café blog, I knew I had to try baking them.

Everything went smoothly from my preparation to putting my cheesecake cups in the oven. I popped by my oven 5mins later & to my dismay, all my cheesecake cups were all blooming up nicely like 'Huat Kueh'. Kekeke, seriously, I never had the intention to make 'Huat Kueh' today, but I just could not give an explanation why it turned out this way. I sweared I had followed closely to the instructions stated in the recipe. Hey, wait a minute, could the culprit be the 20g plain flour (because I am only left 10g cornflour @ home!) which I had added??? Probably??

My cheesecake cups 'Huat Kueh peaks' deflated soon after out from then oven, leaving behind 3 lines on the surface.


Soufflé Cheesecake Cups
(recipe adapted from Corner Café)

Ingredients
125g cream cheese
60ml milk
40ml canola oil
3 egg yolks
40g caster sugar
20ml lemon juice (I omitted)
30g cornflour, sifted (I used 20g plain flour + 10g cornflour)
3 egg whites
70g caster sugar

Method

1. Preheat oven to 150°C. Line 15 muffin holes with paper cups (use a 12-hole muffin tray plus 3 more in a 6-hole tray, or fill the remaining batter in a remekin). Place a large tray of hot water inside the oven just below the shelf where the cheesecakes are to be baked.
2. Soften cream cheese with milk and oil in a bowl placed over simmering water, or in a double-boiler. Whisk until smooth, remove from heat and let cool until lukewarm.
3. Beat egg yolks with 40g sugar until combined, beat in lemon juice. Gradually whisk in cheese mixture to combine. Lightly whisk in sifted cornflour, mix well.
4. Beat egg whites until foamy. Then gradually beat in 70g sugar, spoonful by spoonful, until firm but just under stiff peaks stage.
5. Fold 1/3 of the egg white mixture into the cheese mixture until thoroughly mixed in. Repeat two more times with the remaining egg white mixture.
6. Spoon batter into the prepared muffin cups, filling each cup nearly to the rim.
7. Place the muffin tray on the shelf just above the tray of hot water.
8. Bake for 35-40 minutes, or until the tops of the cheesecakes are lightly browned.

Despite their looks, they still taste heavenly~ so soft & melt in your mouth! You must definitely try these if you are a cheesecake lover.




6 comments:

j3ss kitch3n said...

haha cathy i think your oven temperature is too hot perhaps you could lower 20°C then the original temperature asked for. it's still very delicious to me!

CaThY said...

Really? Oh tks Jess for pointing out on my oven tempt. I will try that again. *^_^*

The Sweetylicious said...

the blog title sounds cool (: and yours look nice to me! my famiy love cheesecake except for me. hahah. im going to go into intense cheesecake baking soon! x)))

CaThY said...

Tks for your kind words Jasmine *^_^*

CaThY said...

the blog title sounds cool (: and yours look nice to me! my famiy love cheesecake except for me. hahah. im going to go into intense cheesecake baking soon! x)))

CaThY said...

Really? Oh tks Jess for pointing out on my oven tempt. I will try that again. *^_^*

Post a Comment